Native American Nurses Association
August 8, 2018
Call to order: 5:40pm
Members in attendance: Lilly Little, Kendallyn Pond, Sandra Champagne-King, Lei-Lani White
- A.) Update NANA website: meeting with web developer Charlie Wayman Monday, August 13, 2018 at 6:15pm
- B.) Volunteer recruitment letter: sent by Kendallyn to Phoenix area Colleges and Universities
- C.) NANA membership pens and giveaway pens (2 different designs)- order on hold while they verify insignia design. NANA approved $100 total for this order at previous meeting
-Dora has old NANA pins with membership cards. Due to limited number of pins we can give the pins out to officers only as an incentive for their work. Mail membership cards and pens to new members once the pens are in. Brooklyn Dee working on this.
-Giftcard will be awarded to NANA member who recruits the most NEW paid dues members by August 31, 2018.
- D.) NANA meetings to continue at 5pm at PIMC CRAB 2nd Wednesday of the month with alternative meetings held off campus on weekends to work on projects. All members welcome to attend meetings. Next scheduled meeting: August 19th 8:30am at Black Bear Diner in Chandler 7700 S Priest Dr Tempe, AZ 85284. Check Facebook page and NANA website nanaaz.org for upcoming meeting dates
- A.) Bake Sales: 2 scheduled: 8/16/18 and 8/30/18 starting at 7am until we sell out. Location: PIMC patio. Kendallyn to get tables and cashbox from Lily. Marilyn to bring $200 petty cash for change. We need volunteers to BAKE! Contact Kendallyn Pond at email@example.com if you would like to donate baked goods. Food Handlers permit required. If you do not have one you can get one at the following website: https://www.ihs.gov/foodhandler/
PIMC employee to make baked goods for bake sale. NANA approved $40 to be given to PIMC employee for baked goods
Leilani motioned, 2nd by Kendallyn
- B.) NANA bylaws: Kendallyn updating and will vote on approving at next meeting
- C.) Official NANA officers election October 2018: call for nominations to be announced in next 2 weeks. The following 7 positions will be open: President, President-Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, Historian, Volunteer/mentoring coordinator, and Marketing/Social Media/Outreach coordinator. Voting will be available via Survey Monkey. Will open on October 12th and close on October 26th at midnight. Only paid dues members will be allowed to vote.
- D.) Acrylic Painting Fundraising event: September 30, 2018 from 1pm to 4pm at Prices: $30 NANA members and $35 non-members; (prices approved by unanimous vote, Motioned by Kendallyn, 2nd by Sandy). NANA will provide lunch and water. Attendees can bring other beverages of their choice. Instruction and painting supplies is included in event fee. The event will be co-hosted by Deon from Kaalogii Kisses. Register at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/paint-with-nana-tickets-48944140241
Silent Auction during painting event. Need donations for door prizes and silent auction items. Need someone to coordinate event? Need silent auction donations. If you have an item you would like to donate or know someone who can donate an item, contact Lei-Lani White at firstname.lastname@example.org; Dora and Lei-Lani volunteered to help with this event
- E.) Student outreach:
1.) ASU SPIRIT event August 4, 2018- NANA tabled at the Native American student welcome back event: provided information on scholarships, membership, and STD prevention. Dora Bradley, Lei-Lani White, and Desiree Crawford attended the event. NANA gave away 2 raffle items to the stu
2.)GCU Native American Welcome luncheon: At Grand Canyon University on August 25th from 11am to 1pm. Need volunteers for event: Lilly and Robbi have volunteered, need another 1-2 people to attend. Location: Antelope Gym, North Lecture Halls 3300 West Camelback Rd Phoenix, AZ 85017. Lilly is making poster board and Robbi is making handouts and NANA event flyers. Will pass out NANA pens if order received in time. Provide information on NANA membership and scholarship for nursing students. Robbi coordinating event. If you would like to help with this event contact Robbi at Grcurleyhair@yahoo.com
3.)Mentoring event: GCU has also offered to help us plan a future NANA event. Has offered to help secure location or help with cost of food.
4.)Hoop of Learning invited NANA to come and do a presentation on nursing. Details to come.
A.) NARD Parade October 13, 2018; $30 fee before Sept 28th, $60 after; theme is “Recycle, Reuse, Protecting Mother Earth” Discussion on whether NANA wants to enter a float this year
B.) Create “dropbox for NANA” need to get pricing for this
C.) Scholarship applications are updated for 2018. Will award up to $1000 in FALL scholarships. Applications must be postmarked, hand delivered, or emailed by October 5, 2018. Applications will be reviewed after the NANA meeting on October 10, 2018. Winners will be announced October 12, 2018.
D.) Christmas gift wrapping: Potential fundraising event brought up at previous meeting, details to come. At ASU Holiday Indian Market in December
E.) Quarterly posts in PIMC Pulse- March, June, September, and December; Robbi working on next newsletter. Will include info on upcoming events, scholarships, and elections. Deadline for submission for September newsletter is August 14th
Meeting adjourned: 7:20pm
Next meeting: August 19th at 8:30am Black Bear Diner in Temp